Privacy Notice – Data Protection Act 1998


At Mount Gilbert School we collect personal information from you. Sometimes we might also get information about your from the school you went to before, and also from the Learning Records Service. There are rules about the personal information we can collect and what we do with it in a document called the Data Protection Act 1998 and we have to make sure we stick to those rules.


The reason why we have this information about you is to:

  • Help with your learning;
  • Monitor and report on how well you are doing with your learning;
  • Give you the right pastoral care, and
  • See how well the school is doing.


The sort of information we have about you is your address and phone number, information about how well you are doing at school (this is known as national curriculum assessment result), information on your attendance, and information about you personally (such as whether you are a boy or a girl, any special needs that you have, or any medical information). We might also get information from the Learning Records Service about you. They will be able to tell us details about your learning and any qualifications you have.

Once you are 13 years old or more, we have to pass on some information to youth support services in the Telford area. They are called the local authority support service. We have to let them know your name and address, and the names and address(es) of your parent(s) too. We might also give information to colleges or other places which you might go to when you are 16 years old or more. However, your parent(s) can ask that we don’t give the support service any information other than names, address and your date of birth. Once you are 16 years old, you can decide whether or not to let the support services have more information about you than that. If you don’t want to make that decision, then let the School Business Manager know.


You can find out more information about young people’s services on the National Careers Service website. Their web address is


We will not give information about you to anyone without you saying we can, unless the law and our policies allow us to.


The law means that we have to give some information about you to our local authority (the council) and the Department for Education. If you want to know how they keep your information and what they do with it, you can look on their websites at:


If you can’t access these websites, please let the School Business Manager know and they will help you to find out.